Sunday 26 November 2017

I believe in angels. Something good in everything I see.


A moment of history

This morning's The Andrew Marr Show will probably be best remembered for the Archbishop of York finally putting on his clerical collar again after Robert Mugabe's fall from power - a wonderful TV moment.

I watched him live as he took it off and cut it up in protest at Mugabe's cruelty back in 2007 - much to the astonishment of Andrew Marr. 

(And talking about astonishment, I'm astonished that it was ten years ago. It really doesn't feel that long ago. Tempus clearly fugit). 

Archbishop Sentamu used the fragments Andrew had kept safe and sound these past ten years to create a moving metaphor about how Zimbabwe needs to proceed from now on: Gluing those fragments together isn't a good idea. A brand new clerical collar is now needed for Zimbabwe. 

I half-wish I could share his faith. I didn't feel happy with myself for reacting so incredulously to his opening anecdote:
I hadn't been able to sleep and suddenly Zimbabwe were very, very strong in my mind. And I said, "Lord, it's been going on for a long time, how does this end?" And then I almost hear a little voice saying, "Light a candle. At the end when it burns out will be the beginning of the end of the government of Robert Mugabe." I lit the candle, told my wife, and it started burning. It went out on the 14th of November. Very interesting. "Light another, and when it goes out, Mugabe will be gone." And that one ran out on the 21st.
*******

Andrew Marr showing non-Brits how long an inch is

For fans of Mr. Marr's Sunday Morning Sermon, here's today's:
Good morning. There's a long tradition about the days after the Budget. Bit by bit, it unravels, and an ashen-faced Chancellor has to scrabble around apologising for his mistakes. But not this year. Philip Hammond has been warmly applauded by the Tory party. Even the Daily Mail withdrew its claim that he was Britain's Eeyore. But, those forecasts - basically that we're all going to be poorer for much . much longer than we thought - show there might be trouble ahead. Bad for Britain, but in pure electoral terms, perhaps, a huge new opportunity for Jeremy Corbyn's Labour. I'm joined this morning by the woman many Tories see as their future Prime Minister - the Leader of the Scottish Conservatives, Ruth Davidson. And by a key member of Labour's economic team, Barry Gardiner, on Labour's vision for the economy. Keeping an eye on both of them, the grand wizard of the numbers, Paul Johnson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies. And remember this? 
John Sentamu: So I'm not going to wear a dog collar until Mugabe has gone. 
Well, I've still got the pieces. But now Mugabe's gone, will the Archbishop put his collar back on? And a message to the UK from ABBA. Benny Andersson has got this to say about Brexit;
Benny: We need you in there.
Sir Tim Rice: Why?
Benny: Because it's like, you have a friend, and he says, we I don't want to be friends with you any more. Stay!
I'll be talking to him and Sir Tim Rice about their Cold War musical, "Chess". Plus, we'll have a fantastic tune from three other musical greats: Jools Holland, Jose Feliciano and Ruby Turner. [It was 'Hit the Road, Jack!'. And very good it was too.] And reviewing the papers - the former Tory adviser and head of media for the Vote Leave campaign, Robert Oxley; the writer and commentator Ellie Mae O'Hagan; and the political editor of the Financial Times, George Parker.
Benny and Sir Tim were charming - friends who disagree on Brexit (though only one has a vote here).

And talking of Benny, I've asked Vladimir Putin if he'll rig a poll for me showing that Lay All Your Love on Me is ABBA's greatest song. There was intense debate about that on Twitter last night and no one else - no one!!! - agreed with me that Lay All Your Love on Me was ABBA's best song, so I want Vladimir to put that right for me - and, while he's at it, 'sort' any libtards who said Chiquitita.

*******

A well known massive Tory

Today's politicians were Labour's mellifluous-voiced Barry Gardiner (he really should do Book at Bedtime) and the Scottish Conservatives' clan chief Ruth Davidson. I thought both got a decent grilling, but quite a few Corbynistas on Twitter didn't agree. Cue Marr editor Rob Burley:




etc, etc, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Sentamu story. If religion completely drives out the mystical, the symbolic and the wonderment then there's not much left is there? Other tyrants have appeared invincible before being brought down.

    Will Zimbabwe do better now? Who knows? But at least it cannot get worse for Sentamu's sentiments. He's not from that part of Africa is he? So I think his concern is genuine.

    Yes I could hear Barry Gardiner doing Book at Bedtime - or Jackanory or advertising life assurance. "For those times in your life when time is not on your side...Gardiner Life".

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.