Sunday 3 November 2019

John Simpson gets into a row on Twitter


As noted on the Open Thread, the BBC's World Affairs Editor John Simpson got cold feet and deleted a tweet:



Rebecca Vincent: Extremely disappointed to see the likes of Alastair Campbell and John Simpson helping the government of Malta whitewash its image whilst impunity for the assassination of a journalist continues 2 years on. Did they raise the case of Daphne Caruana Galizia? 
John Simpson: I was in Malta to give talk about the future of news. I deliberately avoided meeting the Maltese PM & discussed Daphne Caruana Galizia’s murder with the UK High Commissioner and senior Maltese journalists. No whitewash of disturbing Maltese govt reaction to murder - OK? 
Rebecca Vincent: Thank you for clarifying, John. And it’s good to know you raised Daphne’s case - but it would have been much stronger to do so publicly. It’s not too late! You are normally great on press freedom issues. I’d be happy to chat about how you could help the campaign for justice. 
John Simpson: It might have been better if you’d checked the facts before tweeting, Rebecca. 
Rebecca Vincent: With respect, John - I did indeed check my facts before tweeting. Including your deleted tweet, and details of the event you spoke at. I would have expected better from you - as again, I know you are generally a friend of press freedom. 
John Simpson: You didn’t check with me before sounding off. It’s a basic rule of good journalism. 
Rebecca Vincent: I’m not a journalist - I’m a human rights campaigner. I’ve been working intensely for justice for Daphne for 2 years & have been to the country many times. Intended or not, participation in events like that helps legitimise the Maltese government’s actions. We should call it out.

The most amusing bit there is that, after haranguing her for not checking the facts before tweeting and accusing her of not checking with him before sounding off, is that she then had to correct him, saying "I'm not a journalist - I'm a human rights campaigner". That must have taken the wind out of his sails as he stopped replying at that point!

1 comment:

  1. Another amusing bit is noticing Alastair Campbell 'Writer Communicator and Strategist'

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.