'Complaints from both sides' fans will love this. Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has pulled out of a BBC-co-hosted event in Edinburgh in November because the BBC has invited Steve Bannon to participate. And 'passionate' Nicola has subsequently been twittering her displeasure about it all:
I believe passionately in free speech but as Scottish First Minister I have to make balanced judgments - and I will not be part of any process that risks legitimising or normalising far right, racist views. I regret that the BBC has put me and others in this position. The email the BBC sent to my office justifying Bannon’s inclusion described him as a ‘powerful and influential figure...promoting an anti-elite movement.’ This kind of language to describe views that many would describe as fascist does seem to me to run the risk of normalisation.
As it's Saturday night and we all love to let our hair down, Neil Oliver-style naturally, I bring you, live from Killiecrankie in fair Perth and Kinross, some splendid Twitter comments on the subject. Enjoy!
- The BBC, continually scared of being accused of any left-leaning bias, has now gone as far as inviting Steve Bannon to events. Expecting to see white supremacists on Question Time and ultranationalist militias invited onto Newsnight any day now.
- The BBC aren’t even trying to hide their right wing bias anymore. I guess this is what happens when you top load the executive with Conservatives. They are complicit in the rise of facism (sic) and they can whistle for their fee now #boycottthebbc.
- I used to think the BBC was unfairly accused of bias, but I am mystified by ubiquity of Farage (repeatedly rejected parliamentary candidate), Bannon & Gorka (too extreme even for the Trump administration), among others. Would Goebbels ever be off the BBC if this were the 1930s?
- A win-win for the BBC Bias propaganda machine, normalising racism and branding Nicola Sturgeon as against free speech. If she attended the headline would be Nat's and the far right! How low has msm gone.
- The BBC have finally gone full fascist.
- Absolute disgust for BBC Scotland inviting this right wing fascist to beamed (sic) into our homes. Scotland has no need to hear the garbage this guy spews out. Whats (sic) the political reasoning behind this rubbish (sic). Is is the BBC Bias supported by your political masters the Toxic Tories (sic).
Ain't Twitter great?