Saturday 23 November 2019

What do Greta Thunberg, Lady Hale, Grayson Perry, George the Poet and Charles Moore have in common?


I will freely admit that I've just seen a tweet that said that Greta Thunberg, Lady Hale and Grayson Perry have just been announced as Today guest editors over the Christmas period and assumed it was a joke, a bit of satire. But, on Googling around, no, it really isn't. And there's also going to be George the Poet, exploring identity. Oh, and for balance!, Charles Moore of the Spectator/Telegraph. Who needs satirists anymore? 

3 comments:

  1. I also thought it was a joke when I read it on Guido. I am forced to think the BBC is deliberately taking the mickey and has done this just to hear all the complaints and generally wind up the "normal people" out here. Charles Moore should say "thanks, but no thanks" and not dignify this charade with his presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be cynical, I did wonder myself if choosing Charles Moore - a regular critic of BBC bias - was the cherry on the icing on the cake of a deliberate BBC act of provocation, and that he'd do himself and his cause no favours by playing along with them. However flattering he might find the invitation, it would do him huge credit to turn it down.

      Delete
    2. I agree entirely that Moore should have refused this dubious "honour". I've read plenty of stuff from him to suggest that he knows how the BBC work...why didn't he realise he was being set up? Just because you're a "guest editor" doesn't mean you get to choose to select the narrative. Thunberg's BS will go unchallenged but the presenters will do everything in their power to undermine whatever it is Moore is trying to get across.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.