Saturday 7 March 2015

Who carries out anti-Semitic attacks in the UK?

White-North European - 44%
South Asian - 37%
Arab/North African - 10%
Black - 8%
White-South European - 1%
It appears, therefore, that the far-right accounts for around 45% of all anti-Semitic incidents, while the remaining 55% of attacks appear to have different, non-far-right motivation. 

What that other motivation might be emerges from another set of CST figures. These are drawn from the 453 cases where an ideological motivation or beliefs was identified alongside anti-Semitism. The the break down here runs as follows:

Anti-Israel/Islamist motivation or beliefs - 65%
Far-right motivation or beliefs - 35%

During July and August, however, when the conflict between Israel and Hamas was raging, the proportion of offenders looked like this:

South Asian - 50%
White-North European - 34%
Arab/North African - 12%
Black - 5%
White-South European - 0%

Radio 4's The Report was, therefore, giving a distorted and misleading impression of anti-Semitism in the UK.


  1. Nice one, Craig. This is even worse than the way they like to describe a two percent victory in an election as either very tight or anconvincing mandate, depending on which side wins.

  2. Ah yes, David. Who can forget, within hours of each other?:

    London mayor: Boris Johnson wins second term by tight margin
    (51.5% vs 48.5%)

    French socialist Francois Hollande has won a clear victory in the country's presidential election.
    (51.7% vs 48.3%)

    The same margin of victory (3%), but one was "a tight margin" (according to the BBC), the other "a clear victory".


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.