Sunday 10 April 2016

The BBC begins reacting to 'What British Muslims Really Think'



The BBC is already reacting to What British Muslims Really Think. 

The first paper review on this morning's BBC Breakfast is, I suspect, going to be typical of what we see and hear about the programme over the coming days:

Naga Munchetty: There is a Channel 4 documentary which is going to be on which is called What British Muslims Really Think and it's going to be on on Wednesday, and the programme presented by Trevor Phillips, the head of the Human Rights and Equality Commission, was, between 2006 and 2012, and some information has come out of it that will surprise lots and lots of people. 
Rev Sally Hitchiner: It is, and I think we need to be quite careful with this information that we don't overreact to it. I think...Some of the statistics that came out of it, that 79% said that they would condemn those who commit adultery, 39% said that wives should always obey their husbands, and just over half said that they would like gay sex to be outlawed in the UK. But I think it's...you know, I work in a very multi-faith environment, I'm the head of a multi-faith chaplaincy, and I think one of the things we need to bear in mind is people who come to the UK are not going to understand our ideals immediately, but there needs to be a sense of engagement and sharing our understanding of different things, and conversation when people are emigrating to the UK and when people are resident here and part of tiny sub-groups. There needs to be increasing conversations here, whether that's at school or further down the line. 
Naga Munchetty: But it doesn't say how many Muslims in total were surveyed either so that's... 
Rev Sally Hitchiner: It doesn't, and actually...I know it's just anecdotal evidence, but the students I come into contact with at Brunel University, where I work...I'm an openly gay priest...and they've been nothing but respectful of me, and I think there is a huge amount of Muslims I know who would actually take issue with this.

1 comment:

  1. Statistics, darn statistics, and statistics the BBC editorial likes to present as fact

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.